Start date: July onwards, fixed contract for 18 months.
Apply to: email@example.com with a CV and cover letter. Please ref “Showrunner Natural History” in the subject field.
Interviews will be held via Zoom w/c 23rd May 2022.
Closing date for applications is 21st May 2022.
We regret that we will not be able to respond to every application. If you don’t hear from us we’re sorry that you won’t have been successful this time, but we thank you in advance for applying.
At Talesmith we have different types of workplaces; from production sets and locations to our London office, to our own homes, and on-the-go. Where you work will depend on your role. The majority of our staff work in an agile way, balancing their time between home and meeting places and our London base, as best suits the work they do and their personal circumstances. In addition, we are happy to discuss any formal flexible working needs.
Talesmith is looking for a Showrunner to be responsible for a landmark, premium, blue chip natural history series for an international SVOD. The successful candidate will join the dynamic Talesmith team to bring a fresh approach to natural history filmmaking at a time of rapid growth for the company.
This is a senior editorial position and leadership role and we are seeking a creative and experienced Showrunner to deliver this high end project for us.
It is an exciting opportunity in a fast-growing indie, and this role will suit someone who has already established themselves as a maker of premium natural history or science series.
The successful candidate will shape and add value to every stage of the creative process.
Curiosity, creativity, a collaborative spirit and strong leadership skills are all attributes which we will be seeking in this person. They will also develop and nurture new diverse talent within Talesmith.
The successful candidate will be a creative ambassador for Talesmith who embraces and reflects its values and quality.
At Talesmith, Diversity and Inclusion are at the heart of our strategy, together with a working environment in which every individual’s unique contribution is valued and respected. We wish to attract the broadest range of talented people for this role.
The Showrunner will be expected to produce world-class quality series for our client.
To lead the production process and ensure the series meets the needs of the Commissioner and other clients.
To ensure good communications within the team, including appropriate team briefing processes. To ensure the Executive Producer is fully briefed on all editorial and production processes.
To be responsible for Health and Safety and risk management on the production and to ensure a safe working environment.
To promote diversity and inclusion in the production team.
To bring a deep knowledge of telling natural history stories and established, respected relationships with DPs and crews in the field.
To commit to producing the series in a sustainable way, to achieve Albert certification.
To be responsible for the management of staff, including recruitment, training, performance and development against clear priorities and objectives. To nurture and develop key talent, including freelancers. To maximise opportunities for collaboration, shared learning and best practice.
To be a mentor to staff, encouraging development and movement.
To build a strong and effective working partnership with Production management.
To build a working environment which maximises the efficient use of all resources and take financial responsibility for work they are engaged in.
To deputise for the Executive Producer as and when required.
Are you the right candidate?
Experience of series producing and showrunning for global commissioners and channels, together with a deep understanding of broadcaster requirements/needs.
An established producer who has created and delivered series of scale in the space of natural history or science; ideally this experience will be within landmark/premium series.
A team leader with the ability to bring the best out of the talent they work with, who can inspire and lead teams all over the world and bring out the best skills in individuals, to collectively create premium programming that changes how people think and see the world.
The ability to think big and turn complex natural history stories into compelling television.
An excellent understanding of how to use new technology in a creative way to bring a distinctive signature-look to the series.
Strong writing skills and extensive experience leading producers through long, challenging edits.
The Showrunner provides effective leadership to the team and is responsible for setting the strategic & creative vision from pre-production through to final delivery and compliance.
A Showrunner at this level will be an established Showrunner and will work on a production, often with a large budget and significant reputational value. The post holder will provide editorial flair, innovation and strong, visible leadership to everyone working on their show and play a leadership role as part of the wider department.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- To be editorially, financially, and managerially responsible for the production.
- Ensure all programmes/content are delivered on time and within budget, encouraging the highest possible creative standards throughout.
- Financial acumen and a strong sense of driving best value for the client. Able to manage budgets, control costs and maximise value across all expenditure.
- A commitment to creating both diverse content and teams to reflect audiences and ensuring best practice.
- To provide clear direction, editorial insight and quality control for the series.
Knowledge, skills, training and experience
- Proven track record of editorial vision and delivery and experience of working on high budget, high profile productions.
- Demonstrable passion for creating content to the appropriate audience, and knowledge of natural history.
- Strong track record of delivering high quality content with a passion for natural history.
- Able to create a clear editorial vision for the lifecycle of the series.
- Strong experience of developing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Effective planning and organising skills. Ability to concentrate on several areas of work at one time, prioritising, delivering consistently to deadlines and reacting positively to changes and conflicting priorities.
- Ensuring teams works to deadlines and supported sufficiently to deliver their best work.
- Able to demonstrate strong editorial judgment in a fast moving environment.
- Proven ability to produce innovative content, be open to new ideas and motivate colleagues to take creative risks.
- Demonstrable high level of creativity - able to bring fresh new approach and bring out creative ideas in others.
- Evidence of strong leadership and effective team management, ensuring the team receive development and manage performance.
- Evidence of a commitment to creating both diverse content and staff.
- Has the ability to consider a range of problems and uses own judgment to apply effective, time critical solutions.
- Financial acumen and a strong sense of driving best value. Able to manage budgets, control costs and maximise value across all expenditure.
We are Emmy and Bafta winning producers of premium unscripted content.
Talesmith was founded in 2015 by film-maker Martin Williams, with Ruth Roberts and Mark Wright joining the leadership team in 2018. Together they have decades of award-winning experience producing premium unscripted content. They are responsible for some of most celebrated factual productions of recent decades, partnering with A-list talent including Sir David Attenborough, Prince William, President Obama and Professor Stephen Hawking.
At Talesmith, we focus on high-end natural history, science and character-driven narratives. We strive to tell stories differently, embracing innovative technologies & pushing the boundaries of convention.
Our recent credits include: The Lion’s Last Roar (Zee), Shark Week 2022: Jaws vs The Blob (Discovery+), Prince William: A Planet for us All (Discovery+,) the multi-award winning Takaya: Lone Wolf (CBC/ BBC/ ARTE), The Green Planet AR Experience powered by 5G EE (DCMS), Shark Week 2021: Return to Lair of the Great White (Discovery), Shark Week 2020: Lair of the Great White (Discovery), AIB winning series Earthrise (Al Jazeera), Panda-nominated The Real T Rex with Chris Packham (BBC/ CBC/ France TV), The Life of Earth (Smithsonian/Zee), Hold the World with David Attenborough VR (Sky VR), Flyride Five Mountains 4D (Legend Cultural Development) and Flyride Changbaishan 4D (Legend Cultural Development).
Martin, Mark & Ruth’s previous credits include the multi-award winning: David Attenborough’s Galapagos (Sky), David Attenborough: Kingdom of Plants (Sky), David Attenborough’s Natural History Museum Alive (Sky), David Attenborough: Flying Monsters (Sky), President Obama meets David Attenborough (BBC), David Attenborough: First Life (BBC) and Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking (Discovery).
You can find out more at www.talesmith.tv